Monday, April 23, 2012

Reflection on Journal: First Thoughts



After writing five times a week for two months, I managed to fill forty-two entries on my journal. There were times I wasn’t concentrated and times were I was. There two kinds of levels in my entries: low and high points. My low points were when I wasn’t that concentrated on my writing, and as one of the rules of Natalie Goldburg state: “Don’t get logical”. This means that we shouldn’t think when we are writing are first thoughts, and there were times when all I would do is think. My high points were when I wasn’t stressed at all; times when I could just let myself go and not worry about anything.

My low points were during the week I went to Santo Domingo for the Republican Dominican Fashion Week, I was thinking of all the things I had to do, all the work I had and I was too logical. Also, the other people around me were distracting and it was my most tiring week of the two months. When I started to write during this week, I’d stop to think about what I was going to write rather than write my exact first thoughts. This situation alter the other rules as well, like, I didn’t kept my hand moving, I didn’t loose control nor I went for the jugular.
My high points were during the weeks before my trip and the last week of the entries. During this time, I had very little to worry about and I had recently won my title from the competition. I could write my first thoughts easily, I kept my hand moving, I didn’t worry about spelling or grammar, and I’d loose control and tried to go for the jugular. These non-stressful, non- distracting and happy moments of these weeks were my high points of the entries. Of course, when I’m happy, I’m more capable of expressing myself, rather than when I’m stressed I usually am reserved.

Overall, I think my writing process was great. I can say that I learned new things about myself, like, times were I’m stressed I can’t stop thinking and times were I’m not stressed I could care less about my thoughts, I just act. When I’m happy I can write easily, but when I’m disturbed I can’t. During the beginning of the project and during the stressful weeks I’d had problems writing my first thoughts, but besides those times, I could write not only my first thoughts but also all my thoughts and express myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment